Increase Number of Boards Sawed from a Log

Increase Number of Boards Sawed from a Log

Postby Elliot » 19 Aug 2012, 17:51

Logs do not give enough boards. I think 2 - 3 board per log is a better number.
Elliot

Re: Increase Number of Boards Sawed from a Log

Postby arksu » 19 Aug 2012, 18:51

what? 2-3 boards with stone axe? without any saw?)))
when be saw - count will be increased
arksu
Администратор

Postby koya » 28 Aug 2012, 13:18

In origin we give players variety of options of tools used for any action, but their effectivity will depend on tool.

P.S. IRL tried to make board with axe... can't do more than 1 board :) If you can - make video :)
koya
Developer

Postby Greatest » 31 Aug 2012, 19:17

you actually can get more than 1 plank from a log with an ax...the trick is not to chop it, but to split it. I've seen it done on The WoodWright's Shoppe a few times, you use an ax to get started then hammer it in adding wedges as you go to basicly split the log along the grain, and depending on the size of the log you easilly get 5-8 boards. not saying those boards are the same you'd get from a saw, and of course you'd have to plane them down before using them, but still many boards from a log.
Greatest

Postby Mankovic » 31 Aug 2012, 19:35

But you can do it only on tree where grains are straight, and ofc most of the trees have little twisted grains. So its only in exceptional cases could work.
Mankovic

Postby Greatest » 31 Aug 2012, 19:51

no tree has grain that is 'twisted'. trees grow up, straight up, and the grain goes that direction, its what gives a tree its strength...now splitting along that grain you're using its strength against it, and thats the way wood working was done before huge electric saws were common because splitting a log is far easier than trying to saw a log by hand.

I sort of got involved in reenactments a few years ago, so I've sort of studied up on it, feel free to check it out if you don't want to take my word for it, but don't make up something as silly as 'twisted grain' to go against my point.
Greatest

Postby Mankovic » 31 Aug 2012, 20:44

Maybe i understood you wrong, because my english isn't good in that way, i mean fibers not grains . But i'm working in forest and studing forestry and i saw many trees. But i never heard about method you explaining. Never mind, i think that stone axe should give only one plank.
Mankovic

Postby Greatest » 31 Aug 2012, 21:29

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmXURKP3RMY

seeing is believing right? this guy uses an axe and wooden wedges(made with the axe) to split logs into planks/boards/rails
Greatest

Postby arksu » 31 Aug 2012, 21:40

okay.
if i make: need axe and 2 billets in inventory to make 4 board from log, also 2 min real time
is it good?
arksu
Администратор

Postby sabinati » 01 Sep 2012, 03:08

arksu wrote:okay.
if i make: need axe and 2 billets in inventory to make 4 board from log, also 2 min real time
is it good?

sounds good to me!
sabinati

Postby Mankovic » 01 Sep 2012, 09:02

Greatest wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmXURKP3RMY

seeing is believing right? this guy uses an axe and wooden wedges(made with the axe) to split logs into planks/boards/rails

Oh i see now :) But this is very small log, and it can't be use to make slim boards . You can make only (i can't find words) fat plank with this method only with small logs. I can't find it in engrish but look what i mean http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skr%C4%99t ... %C3%B3kien its really hard to make plank on big log with stone axe. But this is only game you can do here what you like :drink:
Mankovic

Postby Greatest » 01 Sep 2012, 19:58

2 minutes is about the amount of time it would take in real life(maybe 5 if you have no clue what you're doing), and sure having 2 billets + ax seems reasonable since you'd need something to use as a hammer and a wedge...

and yes he used a small tree to make those(chopping a tree with an ax is hard work so usually only chop smaller trees), but all trees split along the grain the same way. its the same way smaller pieces of wood are split to make wicker baskets and other woven items. as to normal boards; the first split he made actually had 1 small/thin board as you're calling it, and once split you can continue to split a piece as thin as you want(up to a point where the grain is thin enough that it just tares off) so you can make boards from a log with an ax, and even with the first split you're getting atleast 2 boards even if you just shape the 2 halves...

edit: of course this really won't matter once you add proper tools, but for now 1 board per log isn't much and its the only tool available...
Greatest

Postby Mankovic » 01 Sep 2012, 20:53

Greatest wrote:
Nope when tree grow, wind and growth of branches causes twisting fibers.
chopping a tree with an ax is hard work so usually only chop smaller trees
And here we are chopping big oaks and spruces. Sry bro but i can't accept this, men on video is showing us trick to make shitty plank from small log. 2:40 of this movie you can see what i mean it is so curves , try do this with big oak log. Game is now on early alpha so maybe we can wait for further updates. Saw will give more planks. I build house alone in game and it wasn't hard and long. How fast want you build house here?
Mankovic

Postby Oddity » 02 Oct 2012, 10:42

arksu wrote:if i make: need axe and 2 billets in inventory to make 4 board from log, also 2 min real time
is it good?

I sure hope you don't do that :D
Oddity

Return to Critique and ideas